What is that weird smell coming out of your heating and air conditioning system? You could have a serious problem there; you may want to get it checked by a professional. However, which pros do you call? Considering the odor might be gas or electrical, you need to know what the issue is in order to fix it.
Your house is your haven and you want it to smell good. So when there is something stinky going on, it’s a sign that there is a problem. It could be a minor issue or a major catastrophe, so you don’t want to leave it unattended.
Here are 5 of the most common odor-causing problems homeowners face:
1. Electrical odor is caused by overheating, loose electrical connections, or your air filter that is restricting airflow and causing resistance heaters to overheat.
2. Burning odor is a sign that you have burning wires or overheating HVAC parts. It might be from debris in your ductwork that is melting. How to fix it? Check your air filter for damage.
3. Gas odor could be from a gas leak, in which case, run! No, seriously, leave your house immediately and contact your gas supplier. Otherwise you might simply have dust settling on your heat exchanger that is burning off during heating season. Find out by locating the source of the smell and cleaning away the dust.
4. Oil odor comes from an oil leak, or from an oil burner that isn’t working properly. Check the burner for loose fittings and call a service expert to repair it.
5. Damp and musty odor is most likely due to mold and mildew and you might have a water leak. A good way to check is to do a mold test and also look for wet walls and flooring.
Any of these odors is a sign that your house needs help. Don't delay or you risk harming your house's structure and the safety of your household.
If you are dealing with strange smells, such as gas odor or electrical odor, it’s time to contact the pros. Visit Jerry's Air Conditioning and Heating online to schedule a service check of your heating and air conditioning and electrical system.